Interpreting and Captioning Services
For over 20 years IDHHC has been the leading provider of professional interpreting services on Vancouver Island and contracts qualified American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreters and Captionists to ensure the very best in fluid communication.
IDHHC delivers ASL Medical Interpreting Services (MIS) as well as Community Interpreting Services (CIS) across the geographic region of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. There are a limited number of registered Interpreters in the region and we work closely with each of them and the community to provide the best possible responses to requests for service.
Contracted active interpreters:
- are screened for level qualification
- have current Criminal Record Checks for working with vulnerable persons
- are members in good standing of West Coast Association of Visual Language Interpreters (WAVLI)
- adhere to the WAVLI Code of Ethics for Professional Conduct
- are trained in American Sign Language and Deaf Culture
Interpreting coordination team can assist with information that may include:
- Your Human Rights to have an ASL Interpreter
- What is the correct process to get an ASL interpreter
- Who is responsible for paying for interpreters
- Client Code of Conduct
- Duty To Accommodate
Captionists are responsible for providing communication access by converting spoken language to text, in real-time. The captionist, using a laptop, will connect to a large TV or projector in which the text will appear on a TV or screen. The captionist will type out what is being said during the presentation in real-time, including jokes, off-the-point comments, pertinent sounds in the room etc. to ensure inclusivity. Individual captioning is also available by having the text appear on a laptop or tablet. The captionist can also provide a transcript of material that was captioned to both the consumer and the organizer if requested.
Captioning can include Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART), a form of captioning that can be provided on-site or remotely, usually for live presentations such as meetings, classes, or conferences.
Whether you are an individual in need of captioning, or an event organizer who is aiming for a fully inclusive environment, captioning services will make all the difference for everyone involved.